You are here:
Common Law Division
The Common Law Division manages diverse categories of cases, including:
- claims in property, tort or contract law
- claims relating to wills and estates
- proceedings relating to the Court's supervisory jurisdiction over other Victorian courts, tribunals and public officials
- claims arising out of breaches of trust or equitable obligations
- matter arising out of breaches of employment and industrial contexts.
Judges of the division
The Common Law Division is made up of 14 judges, three associate judges and a judicial registrar. The division is led by Justice J Forrest as the Principal Judge. His Honour is assisted by Justice Emerton as the Deputy Principal Judge. For a list of current Common Law Division judges see the judicial organisational chart.
Specialist lists in the division
Cases in the Division are managed in one of the following specialist lists. Each list deals with a specific area of law and is managed by judicial officers with specialist expertise in the area. The initiating party is required to nominate an appropriate specialist list upon initiation. Detailed information about appropriate types of proceedings for each list may be found in the list Practice Notes.