You are here:
Common Law Division
The Common Law Division manages cases that fall into two main areas:
- Claims in tort or contract law, including claims involving professional negligence, personal injury and defamation.
- Proceedings relating to the Court's supervisory jurisdiction over other Victorian courts, tribunals and public officials such as applications for judicial review and appeals on a question of law.
Judges of the division
The Common Law Division is made up of 14 judges and three associate judges. The division is led by Justice J Forrest as the Principal Judge. His Honour is assisted by Justice Emerton as the Deputy Principal Judge. For a list of current Common Law Division judges see the judicial organisational chart.
Specialist lists in the division
Cases in the division may be allocated into one of the following 10 specialist or ‘judge-managed lists’. Each list deals with a specific area of law and is managed by a judge with specialist expertise in the area. Parties may request that a proceeding be allocated to a particular list when it is first initiated, or a proceeding may be transferred into a list during pre-trial stages.
- Judicial review and appeals list
- Major torts list
- Personal injuries list
- Professional liability list
- Valuation, compensation and planning
- Civil circuit list
- Dust diseases
- Testators family maintenance
- Employment and industrial