You are here:
Class actions are proceedings brought on behalf of seven or more people where the claims arise out of the same, similar or related circumstances and these claims raise substantial common factual and legal questions.
This is not a complete list of class actions. New class actions are not displayed here until they are ready for a first directions hearing. After that stage, all Common Law class actions are listed here, whether they are at a pre-trial, trial or active settlement supervision stage. Historical Common Law class actions are not listed. For information about other Common Law class actions, or for information about Commercial Court class actions not listed here, please enquire via the contact details listed at the bottom of this page.
Common Law Division settlements under ongoing Court supervision
- Bonsoy class action
- Kilmore East Kinglake Black Saturday bushfire class action
- Murrindindi Black Saturday bushfire class action
Current Common Law Division class actions
- 2014 Mickleham-Kilmore bushfire class action
- Manus Island Detention Centre class action
- Snake Valley bushfire class action
- Roo Roofing class action
- Scotsburn bushfire class action
- Falls Music and Arts Festival class action
Current Commercial Court class actions
- Donald McKenzie (as Trustee for the McKenzie Family Superannuation Fund) & Ors v The Trust Company (Nominees) Ltd
- Joanne Walsh v Worley Parsons Ltd
- John William Cruse Webster (as Trustee for the Elcar Pty Ltd Super Fund Trust) v Vocation Ltd
- Joyce Stoyanova and M&J Stoyanov Transport Co Pty Ltd (ACN 052 894 774) v Equity-One Mortgage Fund Limited
- Laurence Bolitho v Banksia Securities Ltd & Ors
- Melbourne City Investments Pty Ltd v CIMIC Group Ltd (formerly Leighton Holdings Ltd)
- Melbourne City Investments Pty Ltd v UGL Ltd
In certain cases the Supreme Court will live stream a class action trial for viewing by the public. Live streaming of class action trials can be accessed from our collection of audio and video webcasts.
The following documents provide guidance to practitioners on the conduct of class actions in the Court:
- Practice Note SC GEN 10 Conduct of Group Proceedings (Class Actions)
- Supreme Court Act 1986 (External link)
Contact the Class Actions Coordinator for more information regarding group proceedings within the Common Law Division.
Contact the Group Proceedings Coordinator for more information regarding group proceedings within the Commercial Court.