You are here:
Murrindindi Black Saturday bushfire class action settlement
The parties to the Murrindindi Black Saturday bushfire class action agreed to settle on 6 February 2015, when the trial was expected to begin.
The application for the Court’s approval of the Murrindindi bushfire class action settlement was heard before Justice Emerton on 13 and 14 May 2015, with her Honour approving the settlement application on 27 May 2015.
The judgment of the Hon Justice Emerton approving the proposed settlement scheme can be accessed via AustLII (External link).
The Settlement Distribution Scheme (SDS)
The SDS, which sets out in detail the process for assessing individual claims and the manner in which the settlement sum will be distributed, can be accessed via the following link:
Court supervision of the settlement distribution process
Since the terms of settlement were approved, the Court has held case management conferences on 25 June 2015, 23 March 2016, 21 June 2016, 19 September 2016, 14 November 2016, 30 November 2016 and 30 January 2017 to supervise the settlement distribution process.
Below are rulings and orders the Court has made in the course of the supervision process, which explains the progress of the SDS thus far.
- Affidavit of Andrew J Watson sworn on 16 March 2016 (excluding exhibits)
- Orders of Justice John Dixon made on 19 April 2016
- Ruling of Justice John Dixon published 19 April 2016
- Orders of Justice John Dixon made on 6 May 2016
- Affidavit of Mr Andrew Watson dated 16 June 2016
- Orders of Justice John Dixon made on 21 June 2016
- John D White - Murrindindi Special Referee Report (Redacted) dated 30 June 2016
- Ruling (No 7) of Justice John Dixon made on 26 July 2016
- Orders of Justice John Dixon made on 26 July 2016
- Affidavit of Mr. Andrew John Watson sworn on 12 September 2016
- Ruling of Justice John Dixon published on 29 September 2016
- Orders of Justice John Dixon made on 17 October 2016
- Affidavit of Mr Andrew Watson dated 31 October 2016
- Costs Audit Report Mr John David White dated 21 November 2016
- Affidavit of Mr Andrew John Watson dated 29 November 2016
- Orders of Justice John Dixon made 30 November 2016
- Ruling of Justice John Dixon published on 7 December 2016
- Affidavit of Ms Brooke Wendy Dellavedova dated 24 January 2017
- Affidavit of Mr Andrew John Watson dated 28 February 2017
- Costs Audit Report of Mr John David White dated 1 March 2017(External link)
- Orders of Justice John Dixon dated 6 March 2017
- Affidavit of Andrew John Watson dated 6 June 2017
- Orders of Justice John Dixon dated 22 June 2017
This matter, Rowe v AusNet Electricity Services Pty Ltd, S CI 2012 4538, has no further listing.
The Supreme Court Daily List should be referred to from 4pm the day prior to confirm hearing times and courtroom venues.