You are here:
Employment and Industrial List
The Employment and Industrial List manages a variety of proceedings arising out of an employment or industrial context. Proceedings suitable for inclusion in the List include those involving:
- claims for relief based on an alleged breach of an employment contract;
- claims alleging breaches of equitable and/or fiduciary obligations arising from an employment relationship, including breach of confidence claims;
- claims alleging misleading and deceptive conduct in relation to employment;
- claims in connection with an employment relationship alleging interference with contractual relations, inducing breach of contract and/or conspiracy to injure;
- industrial tort, secondary boycott and related contempt proceedings.
- appeals and applications in the nature of judicial review from:
- the Industrial Division of the Magistrates’ Court (save for decisions made in the exercise of jurisdiction under the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth);
- the Human Rights List of VCAT involving allegations by an employee of discrimination or harassment in the workplace
- decisions of tribunals in relation to employment.
Notwithstanding the above, proceedings in which the cause of action arose in regional Victoria or where the majority of witnesses or parties reside in regional Victoria should be initiated in the Civil Circuit List.
Judge in Charge
The Honourable Justice McDonald
Associate Judge in Charge
The Honourable Associate Justice Ierodiaconou
Management of cases
The Associate Judge in Charge will give directions for the management of a proceeding in this List at a first directions hearing. The Court will contact the parties within 14 days after the filing of the first defence, and no summons for directions is necessary. A calendar of List directions days may be found below.
Applications for injunctions or in relation to contempt of court arising out of industrial contexts will generally be made returnable before the Judge in Charge. All other interlocutory applications are to be made by summons returnable before the Associate Judge in Charge.
Further information and resources
Practice Note SC CL 11 provides information on how to obtain a hearing time for applications as well as further guidance on management of proceedings in the List.
- Standard directions
- Standard directions for proceedings in the nature of judicial review or appeals
- Interlocutory applications form (for obtaining a hearing date)
|6 February 2017||20 February 2017|
|6 March 2017||27 March 2017|
|10 April 2017||24 April 2017|
|1 May 2017||22 May 2017|
|5 June 2017||26 June 2017|
|17 July 2017||31 July 2017|
|14 August 2017||28 August 2017|
|4 September 2017||18 September 2017|
|9 October 2017||23 October 2017|
|13 November 2017||27 November 2017|
|4 December 2017||11 December 2017|