The Judge sitting in the Practice Court hears and determines interlocutory applications not within the jurisdiction of an Associate Judge; urgent applications and other miscellaneous applications.
Listing an Application
An application for hearing before the Judge in the Practice Court is filed after obtaining a date from the Practice Court Coordinator or obtaining the approval of the associate to the Practice Court judge for an urgent matter, together with any documents in support, with the Prothonotary's Office, Melbourne; or may be filed at a Circuit Registry or e-filed via CITEC.
Obtaining a hearing date for an Application
Those wishing to have a proceeding heard in the Practice Court will be required to electronically apply to the court for a hearing date and time using the online calendar and online application form.
Practice Court Online Calendar
- The Practice Court Online Calendar is available under Related Pages.
- The calendar indicates what time is available on any day for practitioners to reserve by using the the Practice Court online booking form.
- The calendar will be updated twice a day at 10am and 2pm Monday to Friday.
The Online Application Form
- The Practice Court Online Application Form is available under Related Pages.
- Once filled in, it may be printed ready for faxing to the number listed on the form, or emailed by clicking on the 'submit by email' button on the form, which will automatically open the filled in form in your email program (emailing is preferred).
For further details on the Practice Court Online Calendar and the Online Application Form, please refer to Practice Note No 1 of 2009.
If making application for an urgent injunction, please refer to Practice Note No. 4 of 1993. During Court hours contact the Practice Court Coordinator for the procedure to list an urgent application.
For urgent applications to be made during after hours (before 9.00am, after 5.00pm and weekends) contact the Associate to the Judge in the Practice Court on 0412 251 757 or 0419 303 981.
The Practice Court sits in Court 10, Ground Floor, 210 William Street, Melbourne.
The Court commences sitting at 10.30am each weekday (please refer to the Daily List).
Matters listed for hearing in the Practice Court do not usually appear on the Daily List.
It is not necessary to robe when appearing in the Practice Court.
Practice Court Coordinator
General Registry, Supreme Court of Victoria
Level 2, 436 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Tel: 03 9603 9288
Fax: 03 9603 9400