Supreme Court Registry
The Supreme Court Principal Registry comprises the Prothonotary's Office and the Probate Office. It is located at Level 2, 436 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne. There are a number of public car parks in the vicinity.
The Registry is open to the public from 9.30am to 4.00pm each weekday, excluding public holidays and the Tuesday following Easter Monday.
The Principal Registrar is responsible for the administration of the Supreme Court Registry; the secure custody and safekeeping of Court records; collecting and accounting for all fees received by the Court; and all aspects of proceedings and appeals coming within the jurisdiction. The Registry includes the Prothonotary's Office and the Probate Office.
The Prothonotary is responsible for the issuing of writs and other processes.
The Registrar of Probates is responsible for the Court's administrative functions concerning applications for grants of probate and letters of administration. These functions relate to the estates of people who have died. The Registrar of Probates is responsible for making grants of representation in respect of the estates of deceased persons leaving assets in Victoria.
Regional Supreme Court Registries
There are currently ten regional Supreme Court Registries located in Regional Victoria, as can be seen on the Regional Courts page. At these locations, the local Magistrates Court Registry performs this role. A listing of these locations and their contact details are listed on the Locations: Regional Courts page.
The office hours of these Registries are the same as that of the Supreme Court Registry.
Supreme Court of Victoria - Registry
Level 2, 436 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Tel: 03 9603 9300
Fax: 03 9603 9400
Office hours: 9.30am - 4.00pm
- Document Management Guide Complex
- Document Management Guide for Basic Matters
- Excel Spreadsheet for Basic Criminal Matters
- Excel Spreadsheet for Complex matters
- New Practice Note for 2011
- Notice To The Profession 2012
- Probate List
- Notice to the Profession - Transcript Services
- Practice Note 6 of 2011
- Practice Note 7 - RedCrest Instruction Manual
- Practice Note No 10 of 2011
- Practice Note No 3 of 2011 Sentencing Hearings
- Practice Note No 4 of 2011
- Practice Note No 5 of 2011
- Practice Note No 9 of 2011
- Probate - Bushfire Related Inquiries
- Probate Office Fees
- Sample Protocol - Basic
- Sample Protocol Complex - Criminal
Web Links and Legislation
- Administration and Probate Act 1958
- County Court of Victoria (External link)
- Family Court of Australia (External link)
- Federation of Community Legal Centres (External link)
- Law Institute Victoria (External link)
- National Pro Bono Resource Centre (External link)
- Probate Applications - Caveat and Wills Indices (External link)
- Probate and Administration Online Advertisements (External link)
- Public Interest Law Clearing House (External link)
- Public Record Office Victoria (External link)
- Supreme Court (Administration and Probate) Rules 2004
- Victoria Legal Aid (External link)
- Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) (External link)
- Wills Act 1997