Expressions of interest are sought for a Judicial Registrar position in the Court of Appeal at the Supreme Court of Victoria.
The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Victoria, the Honourable Anne Ferguson, seeks expressions of interest from qualified persons for appointment as a Judicial Registrar of the Supreme Court.
Judicial Registrars are members of the Court, appointed by the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Attorney-General, who exercise delegated judicial functions. All expressions of interest are treated confidentially.
A new position of Judicial Registrar in the Court of Appeal has been created to manage appeals, applications and petitions of mercy referred to the Court of Appeal by the Victorian Attorney-General arising out of the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants.
This position of Judicial Registrar is responsible for the preliminary examination and for the efficient and expeditious dispatch of management of all appeals, applications and petitions of mercy referred to the Court of Appeal arising from the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants, particularly Ms Nicola Gobbo. This includes:
- the listing of applications and appeals, including second and subsequent appeals under Part 6.4 of the Criminal Procedure Act 2009;
- referring applications, including for leave to appeal , to a single Judge of Appeal, for determination as to whether there will be an oral hearing before a single judge or the referral of the application for the determination by the Court of Appeal constituted by two or more Judges of Appeal;
- giving directions regarding the preparation of application books and appeal books;
- conducting directions hearings when appropriate;
- publishing notes for guidance on the management of applications and appeals;
- making procedural orders or directions in relation to applications for leave ,appeals and petitions of mercy;
- hearing and determining applications referred by a Judge or Judges of Appeal to the Judicial Registrar;
- granting leave to amend a notice of appeal , application or written case;
- extending or abridging time; and
- having input on draft Rules and amendments to the existing Rules.
The Registrar may also be assigned duties by the President of the Court of Appeal.
Judicial Registrars may be assigned duties by the Chief Justice including from time to time:
- undertaking the specialist duties of another Judicial Registrar in their absence
- leading or being a member of internal or external committees
- leading or participating in Court reform projects
The position requires a legally qualified (admitted for not less than 5 years), highly motivated leader with outstanding professional experience and demonstrated understanding of court processes. It also requires superior communication skills, and the ability to make timely decisions according to law. Experience and expertise in the conduct of indictable trial matters, particularly in the Supreme Court, is highly desirable.
The position is located in Melbourne. Further information is available at www.supremecourt.vic.gov.au. Enquiries can be made to Judicial Registrar Mark Pedley on (03) 8600 2579.
Expressions of interest, marked ‘Private and Confidential’, may be forwarded to:
The Honourable Chief Justice Anne Ferguson
Supreme Court of Victoria
210 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Or sent by email to: Ms Viv Macgillivray, Executive Associate to the Chief Justice at firstname.lastname@example.org@yarvilligcam.viv
All Expressions of Interest must be received by no later than close of business on 15 June 2021.