Policy on photographing and filming by media outside court
- Parties and others involved in court proceedings are entitled to enter and
leave court buildings without being, or feeling they are being, harassed or
- Media are entitled to film and photograph people in public places in the
course of reporting on court proceedings.
The Supreme Court:
- Expects that media representatives, court staff and legal practitioners will
adopt these principles, act in accordance with them, and where appropriate
explain them to those potentially affected.
- Will place material on its website explaining the principles and their practical
- Encourages legal practitioners, court staff and media representatives to
cooperate in arrangements such as predictable filming and photographing
opportunities and camera pooling.
- Will, when requested, assist in such arrangements through the
- Will, where possible, make alternative electronic material related to court
proceedings available so as to reduce media reliance on filming and
photographing in the street.
Supreme Court of Victoria
Supreme Court of Victoria, 2010
Date of Publication