The Court has scheduled two public talks in the Court of Appeal building on Saturday 28 July, as part of Open House Melbourne festival. Details are as follows:
11am to 11.45am: A view from the Bench
Join the Hon Justice Niall and Judicial Registrar Irving as they provide insiders’ views into the workings of the Court of Appeal in recent years.
2pm to 2.45pm: Architecture and history of the Court of Appeal building
Join Dr Sue Reynolds, academic and esteemed author, in discussion with Joanne Boyd, the Court’s Archives and Records Manager, as they talk about the history and architectural style of the Court of Appeal building.
Both sessions will be held in the Green Court at the Court of Appeal. Seating is limited and on a first come, first served basis. No tickets or bookings are required.
The Court of Appeal building was designed by architect S.E. Bindley in an Academic Classical Style, and was constructed in 1893 originally as offices for the Attorney-General and Crown Law Department. The Crown Law Department occupied the premises from 1893 to 1977, until it was renovated to become the Supreme Court Annexe. The building was renamed to the Court of Appeal after the creation of the division in 1995. The building celebrates its 125th anniversary this year.
In addition to self-touring the building, visitors will also have the opportunity to chat to Court staff throughout the day.
Court of Appeal
459 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne, Victoria, 3000
10am to 3pm, Saturday 28 July 2018