The Practice Court of the Supreme Court of Victoria hears urgent applications that need not, or cannot (due to unavailability), be made to a judge sitting in any of the Supreme Court specialist lists.

The following urgent matters are heard by a trial judge in the Practice Court:

  • interlocutory and final injunction applications
  • caveat removal applications
  • confiscation, restraining and exclusion applications and other applications made under the Confiscation Act 1997 (Vic)
  • applications made under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (Cth)
  • applications for a freezing order
  • applications for a search order (anton piller)
  • appeals against an order of an associate justice
  • referrals made to the practice court by an associate justice.

The Practice Court ordinarily sits at 10.30am on weekdays but is available to sit at any time depending on the urgency of the application. Each case listed in the Practice Court has a maximum of two hours allocated to its hearing .

Barristers are not required to robe when appearing in the Practice Court.

Urgent applications after hours

If you have an urgent application before 9am or after 5pm on weekdays, or on a weekend, please contact the associate to the judge in the Practice Court on 0412 251 757 or the Practice Court Coordinator on 0419 303 981.

Swift trial applications

For matters where it is important that a trial be promptly heard, for example, where a plaintiff has been diagnosed with a terminal disease and has a limited life expectancy, refer to speedy trial applications for more information.

How do I get a date and time for the Practice Court?

To book a time in the Practice Court please complete and return the online application form. We will confirm a date with you by e-mail.

You will need to file the summons /notice of appeal , with the confirmation email, at the Registry or using the Court's eFiling facilities.

How do I file Practice Court process?

To obtain a Practice Court listing, it is usually the case that court document/s will need to be filed, for example, a writ , originating motion or notice of appeal, with a summons and supporting affidavit .

For listing advice, general procedural advice, or to seek a date for an urgent listing, please contact the Practice Court Coordinator during business hours.