The Professional Liability List manages claims for financial loss against a professional for breach of duty in tort (e.g. negligence) or contract, related statutory breaches (e.g. misleading or deceptive conduct) and breach of equitable duties.
Claims against the following professionals are suitable for inclusion in the list:
- legal practitioners
- financial advisors (including accountants, financial planners, and finance brokers)
- insurance brokers and agents
- real estate agents and conveyancers
- taxation professionals
Claims against the following professionals are managed by other lists in the Court:
- medical and health practitioners (Personal Injuries List); and
- building, construction and engineering practitioners (Commercial Court).
Practice Note SC CL 5 provides information on the management of proceedings in the list.
Judge in Charge
The Honourable Justice Macaulay
Associate Judge in Charge
The Honourable Associate Justice Daly
Judicial Registrar Clayton
Management of Cases
The Judicial Registrar will give directions for the management of a proceeding in the Professional Liability List at a first directions hearing . The Court will notify the parties of the date for first directions after the filing of the first defence , and no summons for directions is necessary. The types of matters to be addressed at a first directions hearing are referred to in Practice Note SC CL 5 Professional Liability List.
Parties are encouraged to seek consent orders on the papers in relation to interlocutory steps in the proceeding and setting the matter down for trial. Requests for consent orders are to be made to the list coordinator in accordance with Practice Note SC CL 5 Professional Liability List.
Parties may obtain a return date for any interlocutory applications by sending the Interlocutory Application Information Form to the list coordinator. A return date is required before an interlocutory application may be filed.
Directions Dates - 2019
Further information and resources
- Practice Note SC CL 5 Professional Liability List (First Revision)
- Practice Note SC GEN 5 Technology in Civil litigation (First Revision)
- Practice Note SC GEN 6 Judicial Mediation Guidelines
- Practice Note SC GEN 7 Transcript (First Revision)
Seminars and Speeches
General enquiries in relation to the Professional Liability List should be directed to the list coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org@ytilibail.lanoisseforp .
For more information see judicial contacts.