The Costs Court is a division of the Supreme Court of Victoria that deals with disputes pertaining to legal costs . Legal costs disputes can be either a:
A dispute between a client and their lawyer over the amount charged to the client for providing legal services.
A dispute over the amount of legal costs a successful party can recover from the unsuccessful party following a legal proceeding in any court or tribunal in Victoria.
The process of an assessment or review of legal costs undertaken by the Costs Court is called a taxation.
To commence a proceeding in the Costs Court a Summons for Taxation must be issued. A fee is payable at the time of issuing that Summons and further fees may be payable during the proceeding. A fee is required, unless you have a fee waiver.
Judges of the Costs Court
The Costs Court comprises of Associate Judges, a Judicial Registrar and two Costs Registrars.
- The Hon Associate Justice Efthim
- The Hon Associate Justice Daly
- The Hon Associate Justice Gardiner
- The Hon Associate Justice Mukhtar
- The Hon Associate Justice Randall
- The Hon Associate Justice Ierodiaconou
- The Hon Associate Justice Hetyey
- The Hon Associate Justice Matthews
- The Hon Associate Justice Irving
- Judicial Registrar Conidi
- Costs Registrar Walton
- Costs Registrar Vacant