The Common Law Division manages diverse categories of cases, including:
- Claims in property, tort or contract law
- Claims relating to wills and estates
- Proceedings relating to the Court's supervisory jurisdiction over other Victorian courts, tribunals and public officials
- Claims arising out of breaches of trust or equitable obligations
- Matters arising out of employment or industrial contexts
Cases in the Division are managed within specialist lists - see Specialist Lists in the Division section below. Each list deals with a specific area of law or procedure and is managed by judicial officers with specialist expertise in that area. Within each list page, there is detailed information about such things as:
- Management of cases
- Standard orders and forms
- Directions hearing dates
- Practice notes, notices and guides
Appropriate types of proceedings for each list may be found in the list practice notes included on each list page.
Judges of the Common Law Division
The Principal Judge of the Common Law Division is the Honourable Justice John Dixon. For a list of current Common Law Division judges see the judicial organisational chart.
The initiating party is required to nominate an appropriate specialist list upon initiation.
- Civil Circuit List
- Confiscation and Proceeds of Crime List
- Dust Diseases List
- Employment and Industrial List
- Group Proceedings List (cross-divisional list)
- Institutional Liability List
- Judicial Review and Appeals List
- Major Torts List
- Personal Injuries List
- Professional Liability List
- Property List
- Testators Family Maintenance List
- Trusts, Equity and Probate List
- Valuation, Compensation and Planning List
All documents to be filed in the Common Law Division must be filed online through the Supreme Court’s eFiling system RedCrest.
Additional information is also available on the Electronic Filing and Case Management page as well as Practice Note SC GEN 19 RedCrest Electronic Case Management System (First revision).
Contact details are provided at the bottom of each list webpage.
The Common Law Division is supported by the Principal Registry, for general enquiries not related to a specialist list please contact the Principal Registry.
Phone: 03 8600 2000
Court staff cannot give legal advice. If you need legal advice, see the Court’s guide to free and low-cost legal help.