Group proceedings, also known as 'class actions' or 'representative proceedings', are legal cases in which one or more plaintiffs make a claim for themselves and on behalf of other people. The people make a claim together because their claims arise out of the same, similar, or related circumstances. The group of people are referred to as ‘group members'.
The Victorian group proceedings regime commenced in January 2000 and is governed by Part 4A of the Supreme Court Act 1986. All group proceedings, regardless of their subject matter, are filed in the Group Proceedings List.
Judges in charge
The judges-in-charge of the Group Proceedings List are the Honourable Justice Keogh and the Honourable Justice Nichols. The judges-in-charge allocate proceedings for management by a judge in either the Commercial Court or the Common Law Division.
The group proceedings below are currently before the Court. New group proceedings appear here when they are listed for a case management conference. The Court publishes information and notices to group members on each page. You can also view a hearings report that details when each proceeding is listed to be heard before the Court.
- a2 Milk - Jake Thomas & Yue Xiao v The a2 Milk Company Ltd
- AAI Limited - Zoey Anderson-Vaughan v AAI Limited & Anor
- Allianz - Allianz – Fuller & Anor v Allianz Australia Insurance Ltd & Anor
- Arrium - Bogan, Anthony & Anor v The Estate of Peter John Smedley (deceased) and Ors
- Beach Energy - Edward and Gail Nelson v Beach Energy Ltd; Mark Sanders v Beach Energy Ltd
- COVID-19 Security Contractors (Personal Injury) - Markovic v Unified Security Group (Australia) Pty Ltd
- COVID-19 State Government (Business Losses) - 5 Boroughs NY Pty Ltd v State of Victoria
- Crown Resorts - Greg Lieberman v Crown Resorts Limited
- Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery Services - Lombardo v Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery Services Pty Ltd & Ors
- Downer EDI - Justine and Cameron Lidgett v Downer EDI Limited
- EML Payments - Paul Leighton Mumford v EML Payments Ltd
- Epping Gardens Aged Care - Agnello v Heritage Care Pty Ltd
- Essure - Turner v Bayer Australia Ltd (ACN 000 138 714) & Ors
- Fletcher Building - Gerald Fuller v Fletcher Building Limited
- Flex Commissions | ANZ and Macquarie - O'Brien, Daniel Christian v Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd & Ors
- Flex Commissions | Nathan v Macquarie - Daimin and Tania Nathan v Macquarie Leasing Pty Ltd
- Flex Commissions | Westpac and St George Finance - Fox, Alannah & Anor v Westpac Banking Corporation & Anor
- Fonterra - Iddles & Anor v Fonterra Australia Pty Ltd & Ors
- G8 Education - Paul Allen v G8 Education Limited
- GrainCorp - Green v GrainCorp Oilseeds Pty Ltd
- Holden Dealership - Beecham Motors Pty Ltd v General Motors Holden Australia NSC Pty Ltd
- IMARC Protest Class Action - Jordan Brown v State of Victoria
- Insurance Australia Group - Damian Christopher Norris v Insurance Australia Group Limited
- JLT Risk Solutions - Moira Shire Council & Anor v JLT Risk Solutions Pty Ltd (formerly called Jardine Lloyd Thomson Pty Ltd)
- Mayne Pharma - Hillman v Mayne Pharma Group Ltd
- Monash IVF - Bopping v Monash IVF Pty Ltd
- MLC MySuper - Shimshon v MLC Nominees Pty Limited (ACN 002 814 959) & Anor
- Noumi (formerly Freedom Foods) - Nicholas John Gehrke and Lester Buch v Noumi Limited (formerly known as Freedom Foods Group Limited)
- Nuix - William Lay & Daniel Joseph Batchelor v Nuix Limited & Ors
- St Basil's Aged Care - Fotiadis v St Basil's Homes for the Aged in Victoria
- Treasury Wine Estates - Brett Stallard as trustee for the Stallard Superannuation Fund and Steven Napier v Treasury Wine Estates Ltd
- Uber - Andrianakis v Uber Technologies Incorporated & Ors; Salem v Uber Technologies Incorporated & Ors
- United Petroleum - FNH United Pty Ltd & Ors v United Petroleum Franchise Pty Ltd & Anor
- Waller Legal - Jones (a pseudonym) v Waller Legal Pty Ltd
When the Court approves a proposed settlement, it moves into supervision.
- Kilmore East-Kinglake Black Saturday Bushfire Group - Matthews v Ausnet (Kinglake)
- Murrindindi-Marysville Black Saturday Bushfire Group - Rowe v Ausnet (Murrindindi)
- Box Hill Institute Student Pilot - Somers & Ors v Box Hill Institute
- Hamilton-Byrne - Creese v Hamilton-Byrne
- COVID-19 Flemington Towers - Hassan v State of Victoria
The following documents provide guidance to practitioners on the conduct of group proceedings in the Court:
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org@sgnideecorppuorgdlc for more information regarding group proceedings in the Common Law Division.
Contact PbzzrepvnyPbhegTebhcCebprrqvatf@fhcpbheg.ivp.tbi.nhua.vog.civ.truocpus@sgnideecorPpuorGtruoClaicremmoC for more information regarding group proceedings in the Commercial Court.