The following types of proceedings should be initiated in the Insurance List:
- Disputes in relation to the application of an insurance or reinsurance policy to claims of loss incurred in a commercial transaction or where the insurance relates to a business or property.
- Disputes between insurers as to the contribution payable by each under concurrent insurance policies or disputes between insurers and reinsurers.
- Matters raising issues of construction of particular insurance or reinsurance policies.
- Matters concerning the interpretation of relevant legislation eg: Insurance Act 1973 (Cth), Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth) and the Insurance Regulations 2002 (Cth).
- Disputes regarding rights of subrogation in commercial transactions.
Judge in charge
The Honourable Justice Lyons
The Insurance List does not include matters which are more appropriately initiated in the Common Law Division, particularly in its Personal Injuries, Dust Diseases, Major Torts, Professional Liability or General Lists.
Please refer to the Common Law Division for further details as to the type of matters which should be initiated in those Lists.
- Practice Note SC CC 1 Commercial Court (First revision)
- Practice Note SC GEN 2 Structure of the Trial Division
The following document provides further guidance on Insurance List proceedings.
- Supreme Court (General Civil Procedure) Rules 2015 (Vic) (Chapter I).
Enquiries regarding Insurance List proceedings should be directed to the Commercial Court Registry.
Phone: 03 8600 2002
For more information see judicial support contacts.