The Supreme Court of Victoria will host three ceremonies to admit new lawyers to practise on Tuesday, 21 February 2023.
The Court will be hosting its first admission ceremony of the year for 40 applicants, with one mover and two guests per applicant.
The Court continues to manage the logistics of providing a COVIDSafe environment for Court users per our most recent operational update. Masks are recommended to be worn throughout the event proceedings and, along with hand sanitiser, are available to visitors to the Court.
- Attendees must not attend if they:
- have tested positive for COVID-19 within the five days prior to the ceremony, or
- have symptoms of COVID-19, or
- are a COVID contact.
- Applicants who develop symptoms of COVID-19 or who are notified as a contact prior to their scheduled admission ceremony must contact VLAB to arrange an alternative in-person ceremony date or to arrange to be admitted on the papers following the ceremony.
- The Court encourages all attendees to be up-to-date with their vaccinations.
- The Court encourages all attendees to undertake a rapid antigen test prior to the ceremony.
- Masks are to be worn indoors throughout proceedings. They can be removed when speaking during the ceremony and are to be replaced once speaking has finished.
- Physical distancing is recommended where possible (guests of an individual applicant may sit together without distancing). Attendees must follow the instructions of Court staff in that regard.
Watch an admission ceremony
Tuesday, 21 February 2023
Although in-person admissions resumed in 2022, new lawyers seeking admission continue to have the option to be admitted on the papers.
We acknowledge and warmly congratulate all the new lawyers that will be admitted tomorrow.
Information for applicants and guests
Applicants and their guests should arrive at the entry point confirmed in the letter from VLAB, which will be either 485 Lonsdale Street, or 210 William Street.
Recommended arrival time is 1 hour prior to the ceremony before proceeding through security screening. Applicants and guests then have the option of waiting in the rotunda of Banco or the Courtyard, until the courtroom opens.
The courtroom will open 30 minutes before each ceremony. Applicants, movers and guests will be seated downstairs if possible and remaining guests will be seated upstairs. Applicants and movers will be briefed prior to the ceremony’s commencement.
After each ceremony there will be 40 minutes available for new lawyers and their movers and guests to take photos in the courtyard. Alternatively, photography can also be permitted in the Law Library.