The Supreme Court of Victoria will host in-person ceremonies to admit new lawyers to practise on Tuesday, 24 May 2022.
The Court will host five COVIDSafe ceremonies for up to 20 applicants per ceremony, with one mover and two guests per applicant.
The Court continues to manage the logistics of providing a COVIDSafe environment for Court users.
The Court encourages applicants and guests to take a rapid antigen test for COVID-19 on the morning of the ceremony. Masks are required to be worn and hand sanitiser is available throughout the Court.
See the full list of COVID-19 precautions for all attendees to follow.
- No one should attend if they have any symptoms of COVID-19 or if they are required to isolate/self-quarantine. If applicants develop symptoms of COVID-19 prior to their scheduled admission ceremony they are not to attend the ceremony and should contact VLAB to arrange an alternative in-person ceremony date or arrange to be admitted on-the-papers following the ceremony.
- The Court encourages all attendees to undertake a rapid antigen test prior to the ceremony.
- The Court encourages all attendees to be fully vaccinated including any boosters available.
- Masks are to be worn indoors. They can be removed when speaking during the ceremony and are to be replaced once speaking has finished.
- Physical distancing is to be observed inside. Guests of attendees may sit together without distancing. Attendees must follow the instructions of court staff and ushers in that regard.
Watch an admission ceremony
Tuesday, 24 May 2022
Although in-person admissions resumed on 12 April 2022, new lawyers seeking admission have the option to be admitted on the papers.
The Court’s priority throughout the pandemic has been to ensure new lawyers can be admitted and begin their legal careers. We acknowledge and warmly congratulate all the new lawyers that will be admitted tomorrow.
Information for applicants and guests
Applicants and their guests should arrive via 485 Lonsdale Street 45 minutes prior to their ceremony and proceed through security screening. Applicants and guests should wait until the courtroom opens in the signed 'applicant waiting area’ in the courtyard.
The courtroom will open 30 minutes before each ceremony. Applicants and movers will be seated downstairs and guests will be seated upstairs. Applicants and movers will be briefed prior to the ceremony’s commencement.
After each ceremony there will be 20 minutes available for new lawyers and their movers and guests to take photos in the courtyard. Please note that photography is permitted only in the courtyard.