The Supreme Court of Victoria will host three ceremonies to admit new lawyers to practise on Tuesday, 6 December 2022.
The Court will host three COVIDSafe ceremonies for 40 applicants per ceremony, with one mover and two guests per applicant.
The Court continues to manage the logistics of providing a COVIDSafe environment for Court users. Masks are required to be worn throughout the event proceedings and hand sanitiser is available throughout the Court.
- Attendees must not attend if they:
- Applicants who develop symptoms of COVID-19 or who are notified as a contact prior to their scheduled admission ceremony must contact VLAB to arrange an alternative in-person ceremony date or to arrange to be admitted on the papers following the ceremony.
- The Court encourages all attendees to be up-to-date with their vaccinations.
- The Court encourages all attendees to undertake a rapid antigen test prior to the ceremony.
- Masks are to be worn indoors throughout proceedings. They can be removed when speaking during the ceremony and are to be replaced once speaking has finished.
- Physical distancing is recommended where possible (guests of an individual applicant may sit together without distancing). Attendees must follow the instructions of Court staff in that regard.
Watch an admission ceremony
Tuesday, 6 December 2022
Although in-person admissions resumed on 12 April 2022, new lawyers seeking admission continue to have the option to be admitted on the papers.
We acknowledge and warmly congratulate all the new lawyers that will be admitted tomorrow.
Information for applicants and guests
Applicants and their guests should arrive via 485 Lonsdale Street 45 minutes prior to their ceremony and proceed through security screening. Applicants and guests should wait until the courtroom opens in the signed ‘applicant waiting area’ in the courtyard.
The courtroom will open 30 minutes before each ceremony. Applicants, movers and guests will be seated downstairs and remaining guests will be seated upstairs. Applicants and movers will be briefed prior to the ceremony’s commencement.
After each ceremony there will be 20 minutes available for new lawyers and their movers and guests to take photos in the courtyard. Please note that photography is only permitted in the courtyard.