On 30 September 2019, changes to electronic filing, the civil appeal period and other matters affecting Court of Appeal proceedings commenced.
From 30 September 2019, the civil appeal period will increase for most appeals and electronic filing (eFiling) will be completed through the online portal RedCrest.
The changes include:
- a longer civil appeal period, of 42 days for most types of appeals
- the introduction of eFiling using the Supreme Court’s RedCrest portal. This applies to documents in all new and existing civil and criminal proceedings, subject to some exceptions (such as civil application books and combined folders of authorities)
Updated Court rules, Court of Appeal Practice Notes and Registrar ’s Notes will also come into effect.
Practitioners should familiarise themselves with the following:
- Supreme Court (General Civil Procedure) Rules 2015 and Supreme Court (Criminal Procedure) Rules 2017 as amended by the Supreme Court (Court of Appeal E-Filing and Other Amendments) Rules 2019
- updated Court of Appeal Practice Notes SC CA 1, SC CA 2, and SC CA 3
- updated general Practice Note SC Gen 19
- updated Court of Appeal notice to profession regarding applications for extension of time under rule 64.08
- updated Registrar’s Note on the Preparation of a Written Case
- updated Registrar’s Note on the Preparation of Application Books
- information regarding RedCrest available via the portal at www.RedCrest.com.au
Contact the Court of Appeal Registry on 03 8600 2001 for any queries.