A class action on behalf of persons detained on Manus Island from 21 November 2012 until 19 December 2014 (the Negligence Claim Period) and 21 November 2012 until 12 May 2016 (the False Imprisonment Claim Period) has been brought by lead plaintiff, Majid Karami Kamasaee.
His claim is in negligence and false imprisonment and is against the Commonwealth of Australia, G4S Australia Pty Ltd and Broadspectrum Pty Ltd.
On 14 June 2017, the parties announced to Justice McDonald that they had reached agreement.
On 17 July 2017 Justice Macaulay approved the terms of a Notice of Proposed Settlement to be given to group members.
Notice of Proposed Settlement
The Notice of Proposed Settlement can be accessed via the following link:
Settlement Ruling - 6 September 2017
This is a list of current pleadings:
- Writ filed 19 December 2014
- Third Amended Statement of Claim filed 1 August 2016
- Fourth Amended Statement of Claim dated 7 April 2017
- Plaintiff's Reply to the Defence of the Commonwealth to the Third Amended Statement of Claim dated 7 October 2016
- Plaintiff's Reply to the Defence of G4S to the Third Amended Statement of Claim dated 7 October 2016
- Plaintiff's Reply to the Defence of Broadspectrum to the Third Amended Statement of Claim dated 7 October 2016
- Commonwealth's Defence to Third Amended Statement of Claim dated 19 September 2016
- Commonwealth's Defence to the Amended Third Party Notice filed by G4S dated 30 November 2016
- Commonwealth's Defence to Amended Counterclaim filed by Broadspectrum dated 30 November 2016
- G4S Defence to the Plaintiff's Third Amended Statement of Claim dated 19 September 2016
- G4S Defence to Amended Counterclaim of Broadspectrum dated 4 November 2016
- G4S Defence to Amended Third Party Notice of the Commonwealth dated 30 November 2016
- G4S Third Amended Statement of Claim to Third Party Notice dated 1 May 2017
- Broadspectrum's Second Amended Defence and Counterclaim dated 31 March 2017
- Broadspectrum's Amended Defence to Amended Third Party Notice served by the Commonwealth dated 29 November 2016
- Broadspectrum Amended Defence to Second Amended Third Party Notice served by G4S dated 28 November 2016
- Broadspectrum's Defence to Wilson counterclaim dated 1 May 2017
This matter, Kamasaee v Commonwealth of Australia & Ors, S CI 2014 6770, is listed before Justice Macaulay for ruling on 6 September 2017 at 9.15am.
The Supreme Court Daily List should be referred to from 4pm the day prior to confirm hearing times and courtroom venues.