Group proceedings, also known as 'class actions' or 'representative proceedings', are legal cases in which one or more plaintiffs make a claim for themselves and on behalf of other people. The people make a claim together because their claims arise out of the same, similar, or related circumstances. The group of people are referred to as ‘group members'.
The Victorian group proceedings regime commenced in January 2000 and is governed by Part 4A of the Supreme Court Act 1986. All group proceedings, regardless of their subject matter, are filed in the Group Proceedings List.
Judges in charge
The judges-in-charge of the Group Proceedings List are the Honourable Justice John Dixon and the Honourable Justice Nichols. The judges-in-charge allocate proceedings for management by a judge in either the Commercial Court or the Common Law Division.
The group proceedings below are currently before the Court. New group proceedings appear here when they are listed for a case management conference. The Court publishes information and notices to group members on each page. You can also view a hearings report that details when each proceeding is listed to be heard before the Court.
- a2 Milk - Jake Thomas v The a2 Milk Company Ltd; Yue Xiao v The a2 Milk Company Ltd
- AAI Limited - Zoey Anderson-Vaughan v AAI Limited & Anor
- Allianz - Allianz – Fuller & Anor v Allianz Australia Insurance Ltd & Anor
- Arrium - Bogan, Anthony & Anor v The Estate of Peter John Smedley (deceased) and Ors
- Beach Energy - Edward and Gail Nelson v Beach Energy Ltd; Mark Sanders v Beach Energy Ltd
- Box Hill Institute Student Pilot - Somers & Ors v Box Hill Institute
- COVID-19 Flemington Towers - Hassan v van Diemen
- COVID-19 Security Contractors (Personal Injury) - Markovic v Unified Security Group (Australia) Pty Ltd
- COVID-19 State Government (Business Losses) - 5 Boroughs NY Pty Ltd v State of Victoria
- Crown Resorts - Greg Lieberman v Crown Resorts Limited
- EML Payments - Paul Leighton Mumford v EML Payments Ltd
- Epping Gardens Aged Care - Agnello v Heritage Care Pty Ltd
- Essure - Turner v Bayer Australia Ltd (ACN 000 138 714) & Ors
- Flex Commissions | ANZ and Macquarie - Crawford, Steele Lee v Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd & Ors
- Flex Commissions | Nathan v Macquarie - Daimin and Tania Nathan v Macquarie Leasing Pty Ltd
- Flex Commissions | Westpac and St George Finance - Fox, Alannah & Anor v Westpac Banking Corporation & Anor
- Fonterra - Iddles & Anor v Fonterra Australia Pty Ltd & Ors
- G8 Education - Paul Allen v G8 Education Limited
- Holden Dealership - Beecham Motors Pty Ltd v General Motors Holden Australia NSC Pty Ltd
- JLT Risk Solutions - Moira Shire Council & Anor v JLT Risk Solutions Pty Ltd (formerly called Jardine Lloyd Thomson Pty Ltd)
- Mayne Pharma - Hillman v Mayne Pharma Group Ltd
- Monash IVF - Bopping v Monash IVF Pty Ltd
- NAB MySuper - Shimshon v MLC Nominees Pty Limited (ACN 002 814 959) & Anor
- Noumi (formerly Freedom Foods) - Nicholas John Gehrke and Lester Buch v Noumi Limited (formerly known as Freedom Foods Group Limited)
- Nuix - William Lay v Nuix Limited; Daniel Joseph Batchelor v Nuix Limited & Ors; Stella Stefana Bahtiyar v Nuix Limited & Ors
- St Basil's Aged Care - Fotiadis v St Basil's Homes for the Aged in Victoria
- Treasury Wine Estates - Brett Stallard as trustee for the Stallard Superannuation Fund and Steven Napier v Treasury Wine Estates Ltd
- Uber (Andrianakis) - Andrianakis v Uber Technologies Incorporated & Ors
When the Court approves a proposed settlement, it moves into supervision.
- Hamilton-Byrne - Creese v Hamilton-Byrne
The following documents provide guidance to practitioners on the conduct of group proceedings in the Court:
Contact email@example.com@snoitcassalcdlc for more information regarding group proceedings in the Common Law Division.
Contact PbzzrepvnyPbhegTebhcCebprrqvatf@fhcpbheg.ivp.tbi.nhua.vog.civ.truocpus@sgnideecorPpuorGtruoClaicremmoC for more information regarding group proceedings in the Commercial Court.