Copies of documents can be obtained at the appropriate Supreme Court Registry in Melbourne. Please contact the Registry before coming in to make sure that the file you wish to search is available.

Searching Court files

Most civil files can be searched. Civil files that have been restricted by a judge or by the Prothonotary may be searched only with an order of the Court or with the permission of the Prothonotary. Criminal files cannot be searched.


Fees for searching documents and for photocopying apply.  Photocopying fees do not apply if you bring a USB drive and scan the documents.  

Documents produced under 42AA subpoena may be searched on, or after, the date for production provided the Court has not received any objections to the subpoena.  

Complete the Checklist for Practitioners ' Inspecting Subpoenaed Documents before contacting the Registry to arrange an appointment to inspect a subpoenaed document.

The Supreme Court only has information regarding divorce records prior to 1976. All enquiries regarding divorce records after 1976 should be directed to the Family Court of Australia.  The Prothonotary will assess whether access will be given to a record and to which documents.

To obtain a copy of a pre-1976 divorce certificate you will need:

Or, if you wish to also apply to access pre-1976 divorce records you will need:

For more information about obtaining divorce records please contact the Principal Registry.

A transcript is the written record of what has happened in Court during a trial or hearing . The transcript forms part of the official record of proceedings.  

All criminal proceedings in the Supreme Court are recorded. The Victorian Government Reporting Service provides transcripts for all criminal proceedings.  

In civil proceedings, the parties must arrange for the transcription of the proceeding, and bear the cost. Refer to Practice Note SC GEN 7 Transcript.

A certificate of good standing is required by practitioners as evidence that they are currently enrolled in the Victorian Supreme Court roll of barristers and solicitors so that they may practise interstate or overseas.

Obtaining a certificate of good standing

A certificate of good standing can be obtained from the Principal Registry . To apply for a certificate of good standing, the following is required:

  • a certificate of fitness (for solicitors) from the Law Institute of Victoria or a certificate of good standing (for barristers) from the Victorian Bar Association
  • a covering letter, setting out the date of admission, the applicant 's full name at the date of admission, return address details and the reasons why the certificate is required
    Note, this letter should be sent to the registry admissions clerk on the day the application is submitted for a certificate of fitness (or shortly thereafter)
  • payment of the appropriate fee.

Applications for a certificate of good standing can take up to three weeks to process. Certificates are sent to applicants by registered post. Please contact the Law Institute of Victoria if your application is urgent.

For enquiries, please contact the admissions clerk on 8600 2003 or email .

A duplicate admissions order is a certified copy of the original admission certificate.

If you require a copy of your original admission certificate, or for more information, please contact the admissions clerk at the Principal Registry on 8600 2003 or email .

The Legal Profession Uniform Law Application Amendment Act 2014 (the Act), the Legal Profession Uniform Law (the Law) and the Legal Profession Uniform Admission Rules 2015 (the Admission Rules) came into operation on 1 July 2015.

The Admission Rules specify the academic qualifications and practical legal training prerequisite for admission, the accrediting and re-accrediting of law courses and providers of practical legal training and the procedural requirements for admission to the legal profession.

Under an Instrument of Delegation, the Victorian Legal Admissions Board (VLAB) established the Victoria Legal Admissions Committee (VLAC) to assess applicants for admission in Victoria and to grant Compliance Certificates under s 19 of the Uniform Law and grant declarations of early assessment and suitability.

For further information, please contact the Board on (03) 9604 2451 or visit

The Freedom of Information Act 1982 (the FOI Act) gives you the right to request access to documents held by Court Services Victoria. For more information, click here.


A large number of unreported judgments, sentencing remarks and judgment summaries from the 1950s to the present can be found using the Supreme Court Library catalogue.