Class actions are proceedings brought on behalf of seven or more people where the claims arise out of the same, similar or related circumstances and these claims raise substantial common factual and legal questions.
This is not a complete list of class actions. New class actions are not displayed here until they are ready for a first directions hearing. After that stage, all Common Law class actions are listed here, whether they are at a pre-trial, trial or active settlement supervision stage. Historical Common Law class actions are not listed. For information about other Common Law class actions, or for information about Commercial Court class actions not listed here, please enquire via the contact details listed at the bottom of this page.
Current class actions (Common Law Division)
- Roo Roofing class action - S CI 2015 3382 Roo Roofing Pty Ltd v Commonwealth
- Scotsburn bushfire class action - S CI 2016 05027 Schmid v Skimming
- Falls Music and Arts Festival class action - S CI 2017 00891 Burke v Ash Sounds Pty Ltd
- Murillo class action - S CI 2017 02779 Murillo v SKM Industries Pty Ltd
- Garvoc fire class action - S CI 2018 1113 Francis v Powercor
- Terang bushfire class action - S CI 2018 01290 Lenehan v Powercor
Class action settlement supervision (Common Law Division)
- Bonsoy class action - S CI 2010 5318 Downie v Spiral Foods
- Kilmore East Kinglake Black Saturday bushfire class action - S CI 2009 4788 Matthews v SPI Electricity
- Murrindindi Black Saturday bushfire class action - S CI 2012 4538 Rowe v Ausnet
- 2014 Mickleham-Kilmore bushfire class action - S CI 2014 5296 Williams v Ausnet
- Manus Island Detention Centre class action - S CI 2014 6770 Kamasaee v Commonwealth & Ors
Finalised class actions (Common Law Division)
- Snake Valley bushfire class action - S CI 2015 3495 Jackson v GP & JM Bruty Pty Ltd & Ors
Current class actions (Commercial Court)
- Donald McKenzie (as Trustee for the McKenzie Family Superannuation Fund) & Ors v The Trust Company (Nominees) Ltd
- Joanne Walsh v Worley Parsons Ltd
- Laurence Bolitho v Banksia Securities Ltd & Ors
- Melbourne City Investments Pty Ltd v UGL Ltd
In certain cases the Supreme Court will live stream a class action trial for viewing by the public. Live streaming of class action trials can be accessed from our collection of audio and video webcasts.
The following documents provide guidance to practitioners on the conduct of class actions in the Court:
Contact the Class Actions Coordinator for more information regarding group proceedings within the Common Law Division.
Contact the Group Proceedings Coordinator for more information regarding group proceedings within the Commercial Court.